Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The reason for the insanity

So, let me give you some background information about me before I start. I am 27 years old, married with a two year old son. I am in my residency training for family medicine in my second of three years. Time is short in my world, and yet I find myself on the brink of adding more "to do's" to my list without actually crossing any off. I am, I think, at one of the crossroads in my life. I find this weird because there are natural transitions in life: high school to college, college to professional school/real world, marriage, children, etc. But I am not at any of these points. However, I have recently been made acutely aware of the fact that I am growing up. I wanted to share my navigation of these turbulent waters with well, really anyone. Although, I basically knew I would be a doctor since I was five years old, I majored in English in college because I actually enjoy reading, writing, and even analysis and figured that was the time to indulge, the rest of my life would be filled with biology, physiology, and other sciences. As I've grown up, moved, studied, my circle of friends has changed to those who share my career. Our conversations are mostly medical. "Did you read that study?" or "Did you hear about the patient in the ICU with syndrome ______?" And while stimulating in a professional sense, I have come to realize I miss the variety, the intellectual, philisophical conversations I had in college. I don't know if its the further I travel from academia, or the further immersed I become in a profession, but I have fundamentally changed.... and so I find myself here, trying to gain insight into my own self... the reason for the insanity.

No comments: