Thursday, October 25, 2007

The guy on the plane

So, you might be wondering what prompted this soul search? And if you aren't, then bear with me anyway. I think its been brewing beneath the surface for a long time now (more on this in future posts) but what made me act on it... the guy on the plane. You see, my husband, a friend and myself recently when on a trip to California. We had a great deal on plane tickets which basically meant we were scatttered all over the plane. I ended up sitting next to a comic book artist and randomly another young family practice physician and her baby. I came prepared with Sudoku and Pride and Predjudice but the conversation flowed easily and the four hour flight seemed to last minutes. Subjects ranged from why anyone would want to be a pathologist to why I should visit Idaho. I walked off the plane feeling refreshed and rejuvinated intellectually. This faded when I realized that the most stimulating conversation I have had in a year was with complete strangers whom I could never hope to see again. More importantly, it left me craving more conversations like this, and had me nostalgic for college when these conversations were the norm.

No comments: